"I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all..." ~George Petrie (1945)


Wednesday, April 4

A marvelous March!

The past month has been filled to the brim with new and exciting opportunities! Here's an update on just a few of them.

On March 8th I judged my first t-shirt design competition. Every May all the 4th graders in Lee County come to Auburn to learn about water and the importance of making every drop count at the Opelika Water Festival. Many of these students submitted artwork to be chosen as the design for the t-shirts worn at the festival. This year I was able to help decide who the winner would be-- trust me, it's going to be a great t-shirt!

I attended The Auburn University BIG Event on March 24th . It was a day full of giving back to the incredible community we live in. Over 3,000 students were placed at over 250 different worksites throughout Auburn, Opelika and Notasulga. I started the morning by passing out Chic-fil-a chicken biscuits and getting excited for the day ahead of us. I then headed to the Auburn Public Library and sorted books for the Friends of the Library's semi-annual book sale. Afterwards we headed to Notasulga High School and joined the team as we painted, weeded, and cleaned the school. It was beautiful to see the Auburn Family pouring into our community. No one was payed--my fellow students instead gave their time just because they care. Kyla Wilkinson and her three assistant directors, their hard working team and the rest of the student body worked hard and were able to make a BIG change!

Later Saturday evening I was able to attend the Mellow 5k hosted by Mellow Mushroom and, a Miss AU sponsor, Big Dog Running Company. It was a beautiful afternoon and I had the honor of handing out the awards to the speedy winners. I also had the chance to visit the Big Dog Running store off of East Glenn Avenue and picked up my very own pair of tennis shoes and fitness outfit!

Tie Dye with Pat Dye took place on March 28th and was hosted by the incredible Chi Omega Sorority and the fabulous sisters of Delta Sigma Theta. I had the pleasure of meeting a former head coach of Auburn Football, Pat Dye, and former NFL Lineman Kendall Simons. I had a fantastic time hanging out with Aubie and everyone who made it out the event. All of the money raised went to Camp Seale Harris in Jackson's Gap, which is a youth camp that encourages youth diagnosed with diabetes to live well and provides them with the tools to do so. Visit their website if you want to learn more, just click on the link. Camp Seale Harris

Just yesterday I was able to make a trip out to Columbus Regional Hospital in GA and see just how much CMNH has done for the kids. CMNH has saved so many lives through donations made by people like you and I. How incredible is that? My five dollars could actually be the thing that saves a little child's life!

I have learned so much about my community and just how big of a difference hard work and the human touch can have.

Here are a few pictures from BIG Event and Tie Dye with Pat Dye:

BIG Event



With Former Head Football Coach, Pat Dye


War Eagle!

No comments:

Post a Comment